Whether we like it or not, our purchases as consumers matter. When we buy an item, we give our money and thus support to a company. For this reason, it is important to make informed decisions when making purchases and to buy from brands that promote being ethical and sustainable. Many companies out there in particular fashion brands are solely concerned with profits and in the process disregard their impact on animals, their workers and the environment. Here is a list of easy ways to shop ethically and sustainably:
1. Download the Good On You app – can search fashion companies and the app tells you how ethical and sustainable they are (can also search for specific clothing items and the app recommends brands).
2. Download the HowGood app- when grocery shopping can scan barcodes and the app tells you how ethical and sustainable items are (can also search for specific grocery items on the app).
3. Look for the Fair Trade logo on clothes and foods.
4. Buy from companies that produce items locally.
5. Buy organic.
6. Buy clothes from secondhand clothing stores ( thrift or consignment shops). My mom and I love consignment stores because they have cute designer brands at a fraction of the cost.
7. When shopping, bring reusable bags to put items in.
8. Buy cotton produce bags to put produce in when grocery shopping.